The Wild About Wivenhoe Festival is a week-long event that aims to engage the community in environmental issues, from recycling and reducing waste to wildlife and nature, and to celebrate the work of local conservation projects. The event will showcase the success of these projects and encourage people to get involved, either in small ways by reducing and recycling at home, through to directly helping to shape the environmental impact of our community.
There will be numerous workshops and events during the week of the festival, held at many locations in Wivenhoe, including the local library, bookshop, cafes and open spaces. This engages the community in wildlife projects, but also increases awareness of the facilities available in the community which people may not be aware of.
For more information about the events taking place please go to http://www.wildaboutwiv.org/
Our budding poets in Class 2 created a poem which was on display at Wivenhoe Station.
The children at Broomgrove Junior School have been thinking about their dreams for the future of Wivenhoe as part of the Green Dreams activity. These dreams are about the future the children want, or steps to get it there. Our school council were then tasked with choosing 8 dreams that they wanted to send to the Wild About Wivenhoe organisers. The following dreams are being exhibited at Wivenhoe Library from Thursday 4th May at 4pm until Sunday 14th May. You will be able to vote for your favourite 'dream' and the winners will be put forward to the Town Council. Please pop along to the library to take a look and to vote for your favourite.
1. There will be an annual best kept garden competition. (Effie - Class 1)
2. There will be outdoor gym equipment at the King George's Playing Field. (Molly - Class 1)
3. There will be a Wivenhoe Wildlife Centre where people can go bird-watching and pond-dipping. (Josie - Class 3)
4. People will drive cars that run on waste instead of petrol. (Amy - Class 4)
5. People will reuse items by buying and selling items on eBay, stalls or other second hand places. (Kyana - Class 4)
6. Everyone in Wivenhoe will plant a tree. (Ben - Class 3)
7. There will be more cycle paths for cycling all over Wivenhoe. (Evie - Class 3)
8. There will be more recycling bins around Wivenhoe to reduce littering. (Alex - Class 3)
Click here for more information.